Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Around the world in 24 hours...

I decided this post could double as letting you guys know I'm alive as well as helping me stall before my train tonight. I feel like this has been the longest day ever, and I really should wait before I write because I'm sure the last leg of the trip will be just as interesting. I made it on a flight to Brussels, Belgium- and got bumped to first class- but when I tried to find the hotel that the flight attendents were at to drop my luggage so I could explore the city, I kept walking in circles and decided it would just be easier to move on to Paris. So I had to take a train from the Brussels airport station to a different Brussels station and then to Paris. And there is no room for luggage on those trains. And Flemish is really hard to understand. I had no idea if I was on the right platform/train until I heard a stop I recognized. Then I navigated the Gare du Nord in Paris, and the Metro, to get to the Jardin au Luxembourg, which is right in front of me as I type this. Along the way, my duffel fell off my other suitcase a million times. And I felt like an idiot a million times. But I was shocked at the number of people who asked me if I needed help or directions- one man helped me carry my bags up the stairs at the Metro exit and then told me that's what guys are for and I should always tell them to help me. Anyway, I would have to say that the whole Parisien snob stereotype doesn't seem very true. I know this is a rambling post, but it feels like 7:30 in the morning without having slept the night before and reading way to many maps. One last thought- as I was sitting in the garden, I looked up and realized I could see the Eifel Tower.

4 comments:

Alethea said...

EMILY'S IN FRANCE!! Even if you're just getting ready to head to another part of Europe, but still. I'm so glad you made it there safely. Love you, can't wait to hear how the rest of the journey goes!

sharona said...

yay! i was so excited to see that you had made posts--for some reason i thought you were leaving later this week. You make me miss Paris! Enjoy it, and I can't wait to hear all about orientation and your host family and everything french!

love!

lbmarunde said...

Hi Emily,
So glad to hear you made it safely and that you successfully navigated your way to meet up with Uncle Kurt. Good for you! I hear you are leaving Florence en route to Venice in style...first class to Europe and then a private jet around Italy...what's up?!
We miss you. Be safe and enjoy!
Love,
Aunt LiLan, Olivia, Ethan & Isabella

megan said...

Hey sister! How's Europe? I hope you didn't steal my idea of buying turquoise purses in Florence!