Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Babysitting, Teaching Class and Strikes...

This last week has been stressful and exhausting. First, I somehow ended up agreeing to babysit the kids three times. Then I came down with some serious allergies (maybe to babysitting?). I like the kids and the family, but it's a little stressful feeling like a guest/au pair all the time. I know that I don't feel comfortable in my room because I keep it far too neat. If I felt like I really lived here, my room would be a disaster- the way I like it.
Last Monday I had a meeting at the school, assuming I was going to be helping the teacher at least in the english class, maybe during the rest of the day too. However, she asked if it would bother me if she gave me half the class and shared some of her lesson plans with me? Because I obviously know how to teach 3rd grade english since I'm a native speaker. It's not like I can teach the class in english since the kids have only a grasp of colors/animals. It's going to be interesting, stressful and probably pretty amazing to be in that situation. I only wish I felt a little more qualified...and that I had my mom's preschool lesson plans to borrow.
Tomorrow there are going to be huge strikes all around France because the new president, Sarkozy, wants to extend the work-week from 37 hours to 40. That sounds kind of silly to most Americans, but it's a huge deal here. Almost nothing is open on Sundays, although Sarkozy just pushed through a law to change that too, and the French really value their free time. They work just the minimum to have the lives that they want and after that it seems unnecessary. Kind of an interesting way to look at things, but frustrating when you need milk on a Sunday.
My friend Caroline from Midd visited me this past weekend for the first time...it was weird because it almost didn't feel weird that we were in France together. I enjoyed feeling like I could show someone around Bordeaux as if I knew what I was doing. I think we're going to go to Barcelona and Lisbon during our Fall Break in a few weeks which I am very excited about because I have been dreaming of returning to Barcelona since sophomore year of high school.
The time difference is starting to make me really insane. It's always too late or too early everywhere else. It would be much more convenient if everyone was on the same time schedule.

No comments: